I’ve been having dreams about this cake.
Dreams, I tell you.
The past few weeks I’ve been on a healthy eating bender. I mean, I usually eat pretty healthy but this is healthy even for me. We’re talking all organic chicken/veggies/almond butter all the time. The whole shebang. And on the one hand I’ve been feeling great. I could run a marathon! I could bench press 120 lbs! Who needs sleep? Not this girl! (Just kidding. I’ll take my 8 hours, please.)
But on the other hand, there’s still something missing.
And that thing is cake.
Fudgey chocolate brownie cake. Smothered in melted chocolate. And peanut butter syrup. And whipped cream.
So I waited all week for Saturday to roll around because it’s my “cheat day” and then I caved and made this delicious mini cake first thing in the morning. It’s just enough to keep me from gnawing my arm off after my umpteenth salad of the week, but not so much that I go into sugar shock and spend the whole day on the sofa watching Bar Rescue repeats.
Now let's just say that while I was inspired to make this cake after seeing a whole bunch of recipes online for mug cakes, it's nothing like a mug cake. Have you ever had a mug cake? Then you know exactly what I'm talking about. This actually has the texture of a brownie with a dense fudgey center that doesn't make you feel like you're eating a sponge. And it's cooked in a real oven with real bakeware.
It's just tiny.
Mini Chocolate Cake for One
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 c dark chocolate chips
2 tbsp egg, whisked
3.5 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp arrowroot
1 tsp coconut flower
Pinch baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a small cup, combine your coconut oil and chocolate chips. Microwave in 20-second increments until chocolate is completely melted. Stir to combine.
- In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Slowly add coconut oil/chocolate mixture and whisk thoroughly.
- Pour into a greased ramekin or 3-inch pan and bake for 25 minutes (bake time will vary depending on the size of the pan you use). Use a toothpick to check for doneness and continue baking until toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with melted peanut butter, chocolate, and whipped cream if desired.