Sometimes the easiest DIYs are the best DIYs. In fact I find this is usually the case, but I quickly forget this when left to my paper macheing/painting/sewing devices. But this past weekend I got back to basics and found simplicity in an off-the-rack white tank, a bit of paint and some glue. Inspired by the gem trend that’s all over Pinterest these days (which is just a grown up form of bedazzling, if you ask me), I quickly revamped a plain white tee by adding a bit of color and sparkle, and made it the perfect addition to any summer wardrobe -- in all of 30 minutes.
Who doesn’t love a project that can be completed before breakfast? Especially a bedazzled one at that.
White tee shirt
Gems in multiple shapes and sizes
Colored spray paint
- Roundup all your supplies. I purchased a big pack of various gems at Michael's for $10, but it ended up coming to $6 with a 40% off coupon.
- Prior to painting your gems, lay them out on your tee to get a feel for the overall design. This will also give you an idea as to how many gems you will need to paint. Be sure to include a few extras so that if you miscount or if any get smudged you have some extras. I took a picture of my design at this point, which came in handy later when trying to remember the pattern I had chosen.
- Prime your gems and let them dry for about 5 minutes. Some primers might take longer, but mine was rather quick-drying so I didn't let them sit for long.
- Paint with the color of your choice and dry for another 15 minutes or so. Again, this might take longer depending on your particular brand of spray paint. If you're in a hurry, place them in front of a fan to speed the drying process.
- Place a small piece of wax paper between the layers of fabric to prevent any glue from soaking through, then begin gluing your gems to your tee.
- Let dry thoroughly before wearing.