Hi hi. Say hello to the tastiest chocolate milk in the world.
Remember last week when I was time traveling back to my childhood with these epic peanut butter cup sundaes? Well this week I'm doing the same except with chocolate milk. Actually, I'm kind of lying. I didn't make this this week. I made this about 6 months ago then somehow lost it and just now found it (the post, not the chocolate milk) and decided it was time to bring forth my mint chocolate milk into the world.
That and I just didn't have any recipes to share with you this week. It was a match made in lazy girl heaven.
But don't think that I haven't rationalized this whole pretending-I-just-made-this-but-I-didn't thing to the hilt - I have quite a guilty conscience over things as innocent as using an old recipe as if it were new and somehow cheating you out of the recipe that could have been. Instead I tell myself that it was fate. I mean, who likes chocolate milk in the Fall anyway? No one, that's who.
Despite my fervent love of chocolate milk, there's something about the chocolate milk of yore that just doesn't sit well with me any more. Maybe it was the one too many Yoohoos I consumed on my way to work at American Eagle when I was 16. Or maybe it was the fact that it wasn't actually milk I was drinking but some sort of shelf-stable dairy substitute that only sorta tastes like milk and made me itch. Maaaaaybe it was just that it was gross and now I want so desperately to make something that doesn't induce a gag reflex upon first swig. And that tastes exactly like a Girl Scout cookie.
So after much trial and error this chocolate milk recipe was born. And yes, I realize that I just ranted on milk-less chocolate milk a few seconds ago, but milk and I are on the skids these days and I needed a substitute (funny how that works). And yes, it does taste exactly like a Girl Scout cookie. And no, it won't make you itch unless you have a nut allergy in which case stop scrolling.
Everyone else, let's make chocolate milk.
Mint Chocolate Cashew Milk Recipe
For the Cashew Milk
1 c raw cashews
4 c water
Fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth
- Put cashews in a small bowl and cover with water. Soak cashews overnight, then drain and rinse until water runs clear.
- In a blender, combine cashews with 4 cups water and blend on high for a minute or until there are no cashew chunks are remaining.
- Cover the top of a large bowl with cheese cloth or use a fine mesh strainer and strain the cashew milk.
For the Mint Chocolate Milk
2 c cashew milk
1/4 c unsweetened chocolate
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp mint extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a pan over low heat.
- Whisk constantly until all ingredients are combined. Try not to let the milk to come to a boil.
- Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.