Fashion DIYs are my favorite.
I seriously get the biggest kick out of finding something uninspiring on the sale rack that’s two sizes too big and missing a button, and unleashing my inner Fairy Godmother on it. Such was the case with this $6 peplum skirt. I found a dowdy navy blue pencil skirt at my local secondhand store hidden amongst all the 80’s dresses and nubby sweaters. And since it was in great condition and cheap cheap cheap, I knew that it would be the perfect starting point for a makeover project.
Since I wasn't able to find a good tutorial online showing me how to make a peplum skirt, I decided to make one myself -- and I'm here to tell you, it's easier than it looks. Promise.
Dress that's at least knee-length so you have enough fabric to make the ruffles
Needle and thread
- Starting at the bottom hem of the dress, measure and cut 3 fabric strips of different heights - 7 inches, 5 inches, and 3 inches tall.
- Using your sewing machine, hem each strip along one of the long raw edges using a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Carefully trim the seam allowance.
- Line up your fabric strips at the seam (if there is one) so that the 7 inch strip is on the bottom, followed by the 5 inch strip then the 3 inch strip and pin together. If your layers are different lengths, trim the ends so they match. Next hem the two ends of your layered panel by folding each end 1/2 an inch and sewing.
- Using a needle and thread, do a running stitch all the way around the top of the fabric panel. Once you get to the end, gently pull the fabric toward the end of the thread so that the layers up bunch up like a ruffle. The ruffle should be just long enough to fit around the waist of your pencil skirt.
- With your skirt right side out, place your ruffle face down and upside down on top of the skirt. Line it up so that the zipper lines up with the break in the ruffle panel. Then pin along the waist seam.
- Hand sew the ruffle to the skirt so that the ruffle butts up directly against the skirt seam.
Pssst. Don't feel like making your own? This item is now for sale in the shop.