Today is your lucky day, friends.
Today I bring you the best grain free, carb free, bloat free chicken tenders you will ever have. The holy grail of chicken recipes. These are what you eat when you’re craving Arby’s chicken tenders but the closest Arby’s is 15 miles away and either way it doesn’t really matter because it’s 10 pm on a Tuesday and you’re still regretting the cold Domino’s pizza you caved and binged on at breakfast.
Really. These might just change your life.
They were inspired by my girl Ina Garten’s mustard roasted chicken. I just made a few tweaks for the sake of de-bloating and de-glutening and voila. And you know what else? These would also be perfect for trashing up. Blue cheese? Garlic aioli? Marinara sauce?
Yes yes yes.
I must warn you though, these are best straight out of the oven. Don’t leave them lying around too long or you’ll lose the crispness that makes these so good.
The Best Chicken Tenders You Will Ever Have
1 lb chicken breasts
2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp Italian seasoning
4 cloves garlic
Large pinch salt and pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 c almond meal
3 tbsp coconut flour
4 eggs beaten
1/2 c dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut your chicken into 1 inch wide strips. Place on a paper towel lined plate then use another paper towel to blot excess juice. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine garlic, salt and pepper, lemon zest, and Italian herbs. Blend for about 10 seconds.
- Next add the almond meal, coconut flour, and olive oil. Blend until the almond meal becomes moist and crumbly. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs and add the dijon mustard.
- Take your chicken strips and, one at a time, dip them into the egg mixture. Then dip each strip into the almond meal mixture being sure to coat it thoroughly. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet with about 1 inch space between each strip.
- Bake for 10 minutes then flip. Continue baking for another 5 - 10 minutes. By this point your chicken tenders should be golden brown and crispy but double check to make sure they're not still pink inside.