Oatmeal Cream Pies were my jam back in the day. I could, and would often, eat 5 in a sitting and regret every minute of it thereafter. They’re like crack.
But since then my tastes have matured a bit. Now I’m more a fan of oatmeal cookies. With raisins. And frosting. In sandwich form. Which is totally different.
Then one day last week I had the genius idea to take oatmeal cream pies to the next level by making them healthy. Well, healthier. Since I’m avoiding grains, dairy, and refined sugars these days I thought I would try making them without any of those ingredients.
And it would be awesome.
I tried my hand at lots and lots of cookie recipes, all of which had me tearing my hair out and cursing the day I ever fell in love with Little Debbie. Nothing I tried was living up to my high standards of cookie perfection, so I finally decided to consult the experts at Google. I wish I could tell you this recipe was entirely my own. I really do wish I was that bitchin’ in the kitchen but alas, I was inspired by this awesome recipe from Danielle at Against All Grain. That girl knows her stuff and it’s darn good.
So rest assured that while this sweet concoction is grain free, it still tastes like the real thing.
And it’s awesome.
"Oatmeal" Cream Pie Recipe
"Oatmeal" Raisin Cookies
1/4 c palm shortening
1/4 c raw honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 c almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch sea salt
2 tsp ground flax seeds
1/2 c shredded coconut
1/4 c raisins
1/4 c walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease.
- Combine the egg, shortening, honey, and vanilla in a medium size mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix everything together until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except for the raisins and walnuts. Stir together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the raisins and walnuts and mix together for another minute.
- Spoon golf ball size balls of dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Place another piece of parchment on top of the dough and gently flatten each ball until they're 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
- Dust the tops of each cookie with leftover shredded coconut and walnut pieces.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until the edges start turning golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 30 - 45 minutes.
1 c palm shortening
3/4 c full fat coconut cream
1/2 c raw honey
1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch
1 tsp vanilla
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the filling ingredients.
- Whip on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon approximately 1 1/2 tbsp of the cream filling onto a cookie. Spread with a knife, then top with another cookie.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.